We all know how important it is to eat well and that the food we eat everyday makes all the difference in our overall health. But we also know that changing habits overnight is not possible and changing a lifestyle we have kept for years is hard. Thinking on that, we have put together a few tips to help you to get through the first steps into a healthier you.
1. Learn how to read a label, it’s not just about calories counting. The quantity of fat, sugar and salt can jeopardize your diet
2. Pack your fridge with healthy food: vegetables, fruits, cereal as oats, brown rice, nuts, fish and lean meat, eggs, beans, superfoods as quinoa, chia, green leaves. If you fill your storage room with junk food is quite possible that you are gonna eat it sooner or later…
3. Don’t go for crazy diets, they will upset you and chances are that you will give up after a couple of weeks and go back to your old habits. And be sure, there is no diet that will do what eating healthy does!
4. Sometimes you don’t have to eat less, you just have to eat right. Clean food will allow you to have big portions and fibers will keep you “full” for longer. So, learn how to choose wisely!
”For every food that you eat, there are likely to be other equally nutritious foods that will satisfy your hunger with fewer calories.”
5. Choose the right carbs. We need carbs, as we need protein and fat. Don’t take it drastically out of your diet but choose carbs with more fibers who will help you to digest better and also will give you the sensation of being satisfied for longer.
6. Eat every 3-4 hours and make sure to have 1 portion of protein (meat, fish, poultry, eggs, tofu, yogurt) at each meal. If you are a very active person, your body DOES need more protein to function well.
7. Avoid as much as possible all kinds of processed, sugary food, even those that have a “healthy, low-fat, sugar-free, light label”. Our body isn’t great on dealing with this kind of food and it usually ends up on storing fat.
“food can be your poison or your best medicine”
8. Aim for whole, natural, real and fresh food, as they are simpler to be digested and help to boost our metabolism. Besides of being nutrients rich – full of vitamins,minerals, phytochemicals and fibers.
9. Allow yourself to “cheat” once a while, but go back on track in the next day
10. Eat mindfully. Avoid to eat watching tv or working. Enjoy every bite of what you are having, pay attention on the textures, the flavors, the smell and try to eat slow.
11. Exercise regularly. Endorphins will make you fell great and the fact that you are working out will give you more motivation to keep on track with what you eat.
12. Find your motivation! People say that “motivation is what gets you started, and habit is what keeps you going”, and that’s absolutely true. To begin is never easy, so try to find what motivates you, what makes you to go beyond your limits. Find out what moves your soul and everything will get much more pleasant and fun!
And most importantly…
“whatever you decide to do, make sure it makes you happy”
Author: Camila Betin – Health & Nutritional Coach